Friday, October 26, 2007

NYtimes Article:Dead Student Had Infection, Officials Say

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/nyregion/26infect.html?ref=health

This is getting a little scary, another student was found dead because of a bacterial infection like Staph (Staphylococcus aureus). This time the child was only in seventh grade attending a middle school in Brooklyn. The first time I became aware of this infection was about three weeks ago with a high school student who was from the mid-west, now these infections are spreading faster than you think. In this article the author mentions that do to the quick spread of the bacteria many schools were urged to report any children diagnosed and suprisingly enough the number of students in each school were not any where near just one or two students. Scary right. What makes it even more scarier is that in every article concerning this infection it is shown that more die from something like this than the H.I.V. or A.I.D.S virus. How can we stop this horrible infection?

1 comment:

ester said...

I read these articles and put a lot of attention to it myself, since I have a brother who is attending elementary school. What I was told is that I should not be worried about it, the school was cheeked and the bacterium was not found, and it is not that common. it was around for many years, but only now, for some reason, it became a subject of the media. The only thing that can be done is keep the kids clean and cover their wounds.